Dr. Anne E. Mathews
Dr. Mathews’ research interests are in elucidating the relationship between adiposity, lifestyle behaviors, genetics and chronic disease. Modifying disease risk through "improvements" in nutrition and physical activity habits is a powerful treatment. Dr. Mathews’ research focuses on evaluating the effects of various approaches to enhance the adoption of healthy lifestyle behaviors and to accurately and objectively assess the physiological outcomes of these behaviors contributes to this body of work. Her previous and current work targets populations that may most benefit from improvements in lifestyle, such as those with a history of cancer and type 2 diabetes. Her projects extend to the prevention of obesity as well with a specific focus on preschool and elementary-aged children.
Anne E. Mathews, Ph.D., R.D.N.
572 Newell Dr.
P.O. Box 110370
Gainesville, FL 32611-0370
- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh; Health and Physical Activity, 2008
- M.S. University of Georgia; Foods and Nutrition, 1997
- B.S. University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill; Public Health Nutrition, 1994
- Castenada G, Colby SE, Barnett TE, Olfert MD, Zhou W, Leite WL, El Zein A, Mathews AE. Examining the Effect of Weight Conscious Drinking on Binge Drinking Frequency among College Freshmen JACH 2019, accepted July 5, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/07448481.2019.1642204
- El Zein A, Shelnutt KP, Colby SE, Vilaro MJ, Zhou W, Greene G, Olfert Mod, Riggsbee K, Morrell JS, Mathews AE. Prevalence and correlates of food insecurity among U.S. college students: a multi-institutional study. BMC Public Health 2019, 19:660https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-6943-6
- Horacek TM, Yildirim ED, Seidman D, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Colby SE, White AA, Shelnutt KP, Olfer MD, Mathews AE, Riggsbee K, Franzen-Castle L, Morrell JS, Kattelmann K. Redesign, Field-Testing, and Validation of the Physical Activity Campus Environmental Supports (PACES) Audit. Journal of Environmental and Public Health, vol. 2019, Article ID 5819752,2019. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/5819752
- Horacek TM, Yildirim ED, Schreiber MM, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Colby S, White AA, Shelnutt KP, Olfert MD, Mathews AE, Riggsbee K, Franzen-Castle L, Morrell JS, Kattelmann K. Development and Validation of the Vending Evaluation for Nutrient-Density (VEND)ing Audit. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2019, 16(3), 514; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph16030514
- Horacek TM, Yildirim ED, Kelly E, White AA, Shelnutt KP, Rigssbee K, Olfert MD, Morrell JS, Mathews AE, Mosby TT, Kidd T, Kattelmann K, Green G, Franzen-Castle L, Colby S, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Brown O. Development and Validation of a Simple Convenience Store SHELF Audit. Int J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 267.doi:10.3390/ijerph15122676
- Olfert MD, Barr ML, Charlier CM, Famodu OA, Zhou W, Mathews AE, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Colby SE. Self-Reported vs. Measured Height, Weight, and BMI in Young Adults. Int J. Environ. Res. Public Health 2018, 15, 2216; doi:10.3390/ijerph15102216
- Olfert MD, Barr ML, Riggsbee K, Kattelmann KK, Leischner K, Mathews AE, Vilaro M, Colby SE. A Community Based Participatory Approach to Training Young Adults to Design and Implement a Social Marketing Framed Lifestyle Intervention on Their College Campus. Education Sciences 8(150), 2018. doi:10.3390/educsci8030150
- Vilaro MJ, Colby SE, Riggsbee K, Zhou W, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Olfert MD, Barnett TE, Horace T, Sowers M, Mathews AE. Food Choice Priorities Change Over Time and Predict Dietary Intake at the End of the First Year of College Among Students in the U.S. Nutrients 10(1296), 2018. doi:10.3390/nu10091296
- Famodu OA, Barr ML, Colby SE, Zhou W, Holaskova I, Lear MP, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Mathews AE, Olfert MD. Neck Circumference Positively Relates to Cardiovascular Risk Factors in College Students. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 15(1480), 2018. doi:10.3390/ijerph15071480
- El Zein, A.; Mathews, A.E.; House, L.; Shelnutt, K.P. Why Are Hungry College Students Not Seeking Help? Predictors of and Barriers to Using an On-Campus Food Pantry. Nutrients 2018, 10, 1163. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10091163
- Guo J, Gankofskie B, Mathews A, Stefanou C, Wilber W, Simonne A. Florida Master Gardeners’ Knowledge and Adherence to Food Safety Guidelines. Food Protection Trends, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 186-193, May 2018.
- Mathews AE, Al-Rajhi A, Kane AS. Validation of a photographic seafood portion guide to assess fish and shrimp intakes. Public Health Nutrition ePub Dec. 29, 2017. doi: 10.1017/S1368980017000945
- Horacek TM, Yildirim ED, Simon MB, Byrd-Bredbenner C, White AA, Shelnutt KP, Olfert MD, Morrell J,Mathews AE, Kidd, Kidd T, Kattelmann K , Franzen-Castle L, Colby S, Brown O. Development and Validation of the Full Restaurant Evaluation Supporting a Healthy (FRESH) Dining Environment Audit. J Hunger Environ Nutr. Accepted Dec. 13, 2017. In press.
- Loso J, Staub D, Colby SE, Olfert MD, Kattelmann K, Vilaro M, Colee J, Zhou W, Franzen-Castle L, Mathews AE. Gardening Experience is associated with Increased Fruit and Vegetable Intake among First-Year College Students: A Cross-sectional Examination. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Accepted, September 10, 2017, In press.
- Vilaro M, Colby SE, Zhou W, Barnett TE, Byrd-Bredbenner C, Olfert MD, Riggsbee K, Mathews AE. Development and Testing of the Food Choice Priorities Survey (FCPS): Assessing the importance of multiple factors on young adults' food choices. Eval Health Prof. 2017 Dec;40(4):425-449. doi: 10.1177/0163278717735872
- Xu C, Mathews AE, Rodrigues C, Eudy BJ, Rowe CA, O’Donoughue A, Percival SS. Aged garlic extract supplementation modifies inflammation and immunity of adults with obesity: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial. Clinical Nutrition ESPEN. Accepted, November 29, 2017.
- Vilaro MJ, Barnett TE, Watson AM, Merten JW, Mathews AE. Weekday and weekend food advertising varies on children’s television in the USA but persuasive techniquest and unhealthy items still dominate. Public Health 142 (2017) 22-30.
- Vilaro MJ, Barnett TE, Mathews A, Pomeranz J, Curbow B. Income differences in social control of eating behaviors and food choice priorities among southern rural women in the US: A qualitative study. Appetite (2016), 107:604-612. doi: 10.1016/j.appet.2016.09.003
- Vilaro MJ, Staub D, Xu C, Mathews AE. Theory-Based Interventions for Long-Term Adherence to Improvements in Diet Quality: An In-depth Review. Am J Lifestyle Med Published Epub August 4, 2016, doi: 10.1177/1559827616661690
- Miller GF, Kropp JD, Gupta S, Grogan KA, Mathews A. Do Elementary Students Substitute Ice Cream and Baked Goods for Healthier National School Lunch Program Meal Items? Applied Economics Perspectives and Policy. Accepted April 19, 2016.
- Miller GF, Gupta S, Kropp JD, Grogan KA, Mathews A. The Effects of Pre-Ordering and Behavioral Nudges on National School Lunch Program Participants' Food Item Selection. Journal of Economic Psychology. ePub March 3, 2016
- Labyak C, Daily K, Samiian L, Ward S, Wallet S, Perri MG, Hoover V, Snetslaar L, Shelnutt K, DiGioia KT, Acosta A, Young LJ, Mathews AE. Preventing Breast Cancer Recurrence through a Tailored Lifestyle Intervention: The MyLIFE (My Lifestyle Intervention with Food and Exercise) Trial Rationale and Study Design. J Clin Trials 4: 183. doi:10.4172/2167-0870.1000183
- Dahl WJ, Wright AR, Specht GJ, Christman M, Mathews A, Meyer D, Boileau T, Willis H, Langkamp-Henken B (2014). Consuming foods with added oligofructose improves stool frequency: A randomized trial in healthy young adults. Journal of Nutritional Science 3(e7): 1-8.
- Labyak, CA, Janicke, DM, Lim, CS, Colee, J and Mathews, AE (2013). Anthropometrics to Identify Overweight Children at Most Risk for the Development of Cardiometabolic Disease. Infant Child and Adolescent Nutrition 5(6): 341-346. DOI: 10.1177/1941406413501379.
- Vincent, HK and Mathews A (2013). Obesity and Mobility in Advancing Age: Mechanisms and Interventions to Preserve Independent Mobility. Curr Obes Rep. 2:275–283.
- Janicke DM, Lim CS, Mathews AE, Shelnutt KP, Boggs SR, Silverstein JH, Brumback BA (2013). The community-based healthy-lifestyle intervention for rural preschools (CHIRP) study: design and methods. Contemp Clin Trials. Mar;34(2):187-95.
- JM Jakicic, SA Jaramillo, A Balasubramanyam, B Bancroft, JM Curtis, A Mathews, M Pereira, JG Regensteiner and PM Ribisl, Look AHEAD Study Group. Effect of a Lifestyle Intervention on Change in Cardiorespiratory Fitness in Adults with Type 2 Diabetes: Results from the Look AHEAD Study. Int J Obes (Lond). 2009 Mar;33(3):305-16.
- Janicke, D.M., Lim, C.S., Perri, M.G., Mathews, A., Bobroff, L., Silverstein, J.H., Brumback, B., & Dumont-Driscoll, M. (2010). Extension Family Lifestyle Intervention Project (E-FLIP for Kids): Design and Methods. Contemporary Clinical Trials, 32: 50-58.
- Janicke, D.M., Gray, W.N., Mathews, A.E., Simon, S., Lim, C.S., Dumont-Driscoll, M., & Silverstein, J.H. (2011). A Pilot Study Examining a Group-Based Behavioral Family Intervention for Obese Children Enrolled in Medicaid: Differential Outcomes by Race. Children’s Health Care, 40:3, 212-23.
- Horacek, T.M., White, A.A., Greene, G.W., Reznar, M.M., Quick, V.M., Morrell, J.S., Colby, S.M., Kattelmann, K.K., Herrick, M.S., Shelnutt, K.P., Mathews, A., Phillips, B.W., Byrd-Bredbenner, C. (2012). Sneakers and Spokes: An Assessment of the Walkability and Bikeability of U.S. Post-Secondary Institutions. Journal of Environmental Health, 74:7, 8-15.
- Mathews, A.E.W. and Mathews, CE. Inherited Beta Cell Dysfunction in Lean Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes, 2012, Jul;61(7):1659-60.
- Vincent, HK and Mathews A. Obesity and Mobility in Advancing Age: Mechanisms and Interventions to Preserve Independent Mobility. Curr Obes Rep (2013) 2:275–283.
- Labyak, CA, Janicke, DM, Lim, CS, Colee, J and Mathews, AE. Anthropometrics to Identify Overweight Children at Most Risk for the Development of Cardiometabolic Disease. Infant Child and Adolescent Nutrition, 2013. In press.
2019 Graduate Teacher/Advisor of the Year, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Florida
2018 Educator Award, North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
2018 Chair, Supervisory Committee for Aseel El Zein, Recipient of Best Master’s Thesis, IFAS Research Award
2018 UF/IFAS 2018 High Impact Paper Award. El Zein A., Mathews A.E., House L., Shelnutt K.P. Why Are Hungry College Students Not Seeking Help? Predictors of and Barriers to Using an On-Campus Food Pantry. Nutrients 10 (1163), 2018. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10091163
2016 Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Florida
2016 High Impact Publication Award, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, University of Florida. Miller GFg, Gupta S, Kropp JD, Grogan KA, Mathews A. The Effects of Pre-Ordering and Behavioral Nudges on National School Lunch Program Participants' Food Item Selection. Journal of Economic Psychology. 55(2016): 4-16.