Laura Acosta's teaching interests include Medical Nutrition Therapy, Nutrition Counseling, Sports Nutrition, Fitness and Wellness.
Laura Acosta, MS, RDN, LDN
1604 McCarty Dr.
McCarty Hall D
P.O. Box 110200
Gainesville, FL 32611-0200
- M.S. University of Florida; Food Science and Human Nutrition, 2007 (Minor: Applied Physiology and Kinesiology)
- B.Sc. University of Florida; Food Science and Human Nutrition, 2005 (Specialization: Dietetics)
- RDN. Commission on Dietetic Registration, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2007
- LDN. State of Florida Department of Health, Division of Medical Quality Assurance, 2007
- Other Certifications: Personal Fitness Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Kickboxing Instructor, Yoga Instructor, Advanced Pilates Practitioner, Indoor Cycling Instructor
- Acosta L. (2018). Walk Indoors! With Leslie Sansone. [New Resources for Nutrition Educators]. J Nutr Educ Behav. 50: 1063-1064.
- Acosta L. (2017). Anorexia Nervosa and Premenopausal Osteoporosis: A Case Report. Top Clin Nutr. 32(3): 252-265.
- Acosta L, O’Kane G, Kellett J, Kowalewska A. (2016). Collaborations in Dietetics Education Across Countries [abstract]. J Acad Nutr Diet. 116(9) Supplement: A68.
- Acosta L. (2015). The Discussion-Based Lecture: A Promising New Model for Online Classrooms [abstract]. J Nutr Educ Behav. 47(4) Supplement: S16.
- Acosta, L. 2014. Let’s Get Cooking: How to Host a Healthy Cooking Class. IDEA Fitness Journal. (In Press).
- Acosta L. 2013. Mat Pilates for Fitness Professionals: An Instructor Training Manual. Printed by CreateSpace, Charleston, SC.
- Acosta L. 2009. Living Lean: 8 Steps to Success™. LifeStyle Wellness LLC, Gainesville, FL.
- Crowder T, Kidd K, Jensen N, and Jensen-Acosta L. January 2008. Enhanced nutrition education instead of consuming supplements. Strategies: A Journal for Physical and Sport Educators, 21(3), 19-27.
Outstanding Dietetics Educator, March 2018
Recognized by the Nutrition and Dietetic Educators and Preceptors Practice Group (NDEP) for excellence in teaching within a Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD).
Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year, July 2017
Recognized by the Florida Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (FAND) for early career excellence and professional contributions.
- American Council on Exercise (ACE) and Life Fitness, Personal Trainers to Watch Award, 2011