Dr. Keith R. Schneider
The main focus of Dr. Schneider’s research has been on food safety, with particular emphasis on produce safety and food defense. The University of Florida is heavily involved in improving the quality and safety of fresh fruits and vegetables. Dr. Schneider’s program has been influenced by an increase in the number and frequency of foodborne illnesses associated with the consumption of raw fruits and vegetables. His on-going research program has examined etiologic factors, contamination mechanisms, and intervention strategies, as well as the production of educational materials.
- Wood, M.V., A. Sreedharan, R. Silverberg, A.N. Balaguero and K.R. Schneider. 2015. The Effects of Heat Shock on the D-Values of Listeria monocytogenes on Selected Seafood Matrices. Advances in Microbio. 5(8):580-585. doi: 10.4236/aim.2015.58060
- Gereffi, S., A. Sreedharan and K.R. Schneider. 2015. Control of Salmonella Cross-contamination between Green, Round Tomatoes in a Model Flume System. J. Food Protect. 78(7):1280-1287. doi: 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-14-524
- Bartz, J.A., H-G. Yuk, M.J. Mahovic, B.R. Warren, A. Sreedharan and K.R. Schneider. 2015. Internalization of Salmonella enterica by tomato fruit. Food Control. 55(9):141–150.
- Tokarskyy, O., K.R. Schneider, A. Berry, S.A. Sargent, and A. Sreedharan. 2015. Sanitizer applicability in a laboratory model strawberry hydrocooling system. Postharv Biol and Technol. 101:103-106.
- Sreedharan, A., O. Tokarskyy, S.A. Sargent and K.R. Schneider. 2015. Survival of Salmonella spp. on surface-inoculated forced-air cooled and hydrocooled intact strawberries, and in strawberry puree. Food Control. 51(5):244–250.
- Balaguero, A.N., A. Sreedharan, and K.R. Schneider. 2015. Effect of Overhead Spray and Brush Roller Treatment on the Survival of Pectobacterium and Salmonella on Tomato Surfaces. J. Food Protect. 78(1):51-56. doi:10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-14-254.
- Ou, K., P. Sarnoski, K.R. Schneider, K. Song, C. Khoo and L. Gu. 2014. Microbial catabolism of procyanidins by human gut microbiota. Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 58:2196-2205.
- Marshall, S., K.R. Schneider, K. Cisneros and L. Gu. 2014. Determination of Antioxidant Capacities, α-Dicarbonyls, and Phenolic Phytochemicals in Florida Varietal Honeys Using HPLC-DAD-ESI-MS(n.). J. Agric. Food Chem. 62(34)8623-8631. doi: 10.1021/jf501329y.
- Macias-Rodriguez, B., W. Yang, K. Schneider and C. Rock. 2014. Pulsed UV light as a postprocessing intervention for decontamination of hard-cooked peeled eggs. Int. J. Food Sci. Tech. doi:10.1111/ijfs.12571.
- Sreedharan, A., K.R. Schneider and M.D. Danyluk. 2014. Salmonella Transfer Potential onto Tomatoes During Laboratory-simulated In-field Debris Removal. J. Food Protect. 77(7):1062-1068. doi: 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-13-509.
- Zhou, B., L. Yaguang, E. Turner, Q. Wang and K.R. Schneider. 2014. Evaluation of Current Industry Practices for Maintaining Tomato Dump Tank Quality During Packinghouse Operation. J. of Food Process Pres. 37(7). doi:10.1111/jfpp.12200.
- Sharma, C.S., S.K. Williams, K.R. Schneider, R.H. Schmidt and G.E. Rodrick. 2013. Mechanism of Antimicrobial Action of Sodium Metasilicate Against Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Foodborn. Pathog. Dis. 10(12):995-1001.
- Zheng, Q., C. Bustandi, Y. Yang, K.R. Schneider and H.G. Yuk. 2013. Comparison of Enrichment Broths for the Recovery of Healthy and Heat-Injured Salmonella Typhimurium on Raw Duck Wings. 2013. J. of Food Prot. 76(11):1963-1968.
- Harris, L.J., E.D. Berry, T. Blessington, M. Erickson, M. Jay-Russell, X. Jiang, K. Killinger, F.C. Michel, Jr., P. Millner, K.R. Schneider, M. Sharma, T.V. Suslow, L. Wang and R.W. Worobo. 2013. A Framework for Developing Research Protocols for Evaluation of Microbial Hazards and Controls During Production That Pertain to the Application of Untreated Soil Amendments of Animal Origin on Land Used to Grow Produce That May Be Consumed Raw. J. of Food Prot. 75(12):2251-2273.
- Chang, A.S., A. Sreedharan, and K.R. Schneider. 2013. Peanut and peanut products: A food safety perspective. Food Contr. 32(1):296-303.
- Bartz, J.A., M.K. Fatica and K.R. Schneider. 2016. Sanitation in Fresh-cut and Vegetable. In: Postharvest Pathology of Fruits and Vegetables (Eds. J. Adaskaveg and D. Prusky). American Phytopathological Society. (Accepted).
- Li, Y. and K.R. Schneider. 2015. Microbiological Hazard Outbreaks in Nuts/Nuts Related Food (Chapter 5). In: Foodborne Diseases: Case Studies of Outbreaks in the Agri-food Industries (Eds. J.M. Soon, L.J. Manning and C. Wallace). CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Danyluk, M.D., M.K. Fatica, P.K. Brar, R. McEgan, A.M. Valadez, K.R. Schneider and V. Trinetta. 2014. Fruit and Vegetables. In: S. Doores, M.L. Tortorello, B. Wilcke (ed.), Compendium of Methods for the Microbiological Examination of Foods, 5th Edition. American Public Health Association (APHA), Washington DC, USA.
- Schneider, K.R., M.K. Fatica, K.A. Lampel and B.R. Warren. 2013. Chapter 34: Shigella (Shigellosis). In: Manual of Security Sensitive Microbes And Toxins (Ed. D. Liu). CRC Press-Taylor and Francis Group, LLC, Boca Raton, FL.
It is Dr. Schneider’s goal to have students leave the class prepared to enter a professional setting with the knowledge to be successful. For a discipline such as food science, an understanding of how this information is to be used in the real world is paramount. Since many food science students are preparing themselves for a career in the food industry, Dr. Schneider also believes in a strong interaction with industry professionals who can impart a unique perspective to student.
- 4202 Food Safety and Sanitation/Current Issue in Food Safety
- FOS 4936 Food Safety Systems
- FOS 5205 Food Safety and Sanitation/Current Issue in Food Safety
- FOS 6915 Research Planning
- FOS 6936 Food Safety Systems
- FOS 4435/5437 Product Development
- FOS 6455 Industrial Food Fermentations
- FOS 6936 Food Toxicology
Food Safety - Produce Safety Center
The UF/IFAS Extension Food Safety Website highlights various workshops and training programs offered by the university. Their site also contains commodity-specific information and links to valuable resources designed to help make food safety a top priority in the produce industry.
For more information on the proposed produce food safety guidelines and agricultural water testing, please see the attached flier.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Keith Schneider
Aquatic Food Products Lab.
586 Newell Dr.
P.O. Box 110370
Gainesville, FL 32611-0370