2006 Ph.D. Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Greensboro
1994 MS. Agricultural Chemistry, Seoul National University
1992 BS. Agricultural Chemistry, Seoul National University
2006-2010 Postdoctoral Fellow, Wake Forest School of Medicine (Pathology/Lipid Science)
My research interest focuses on lipid metabolism and signaling in adipose tissue.
- Molecular mechanisms of brown-like adipocyte differentiation in human white adipose tissue
- Regulation of endocannabinoid system and gut microbiota by dietary polyphenols
- Regional difference of ABCA1-dependent HDL biogenesis in adipose tissue and its impact on pathogenesis of obesity and insulin resistance
HUN 6301: Nutritional Aspects of Lipids
HUN 6305: Nutritional Aspects of Carbohydrates
- Lord C, betters JL, Ivano PT, Milne SB, Madenspacher J, Chung S, Liu M, Davos MA, Lee RG, Crooke RM, Graham MJ, Parks JS, Brasaemle DL, Fessler M, Brown AH, Brown JM. CGI-58/ABH-derived signaling lipids regulate systemic inflammation and insulin action (submitted, 2011).
- Chung S, Gebre AK, and Parks JS. Adipocyte ABCA1 contributes to the HDL biogenesis. (Submitted, 2011)
- Chung S, Degirolamo C, Rong S, Zhu X, Shelness GS, & Parks JS. Hepatic deletion of ABCA1 promotes hepatic inflammation and insulin resistance (Submitted, 2011).
- Obsen T, Faergeman NJ, Mandrup S, Chung S, Martinez K, Gobern S, Loreau O, Wabitsch M, and McIntosh MK. Trans-10, cis-12 conjugated Linoleic Acid Decreases de novo Lipid Synthesis in Human Adipocytes (In press J. Nutritional Biochemistry, 2011).
- Jia L, Ma Y, Rong S, Betters JL, Xie P, Chung S, Wang N, Tang W, Yu L. Niemann-Pick C1-like 1 deletion in mice prevents high fat diet-induced fatty liver by reducing lipogenesis. J Lipid Res. 51: 3135-3144, 2010
- Kennedy, A, Martinez K, Chung S, LaPoint K, West T, Hopkins R, Anderson K, Schmidt S, Mandrup S & McIntosh K. Inflammation and insulin resistance induced by trans-10, cis-12 Conjugated linoleic acid are dependent on intracellular calcium levels in primary cultures of human adipocytes. J Lipid Res. 51: 1906-1917, 2010.
- Chung S, Timmins JM, Duong M, Degirolamo C, Rong S, Sawyer JK, Singaraja RR, Hayden MR, Maeda N, Rudel LL, Shelness GS & Parks JS. Targeted Deletion of Hepatocyte ABCA1 Leads to Very Low Density Lipoprotein Triglyceride Overproduction and Low Density Lipoprotein Hypercatabolism. J Biol. Chem. 285:12197-209, 2010.
- Brown JM, Chung S, Sawyer JK, Degirolamo C, Alger HM, Nguyen T, Zhu X, Duong M, Brown AL, Shah R, Davis MA, Kelley K, Wilson MD, Parks JS, & Rudel LL. Combined Therapy of Dietary Fish Oil and Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase 1 (SCD1) Inhibition Prevents The Metabolic Syndrome and Atherosclerosis. Arterioscher Thromb Vasc Biol. 30: 24-30, 2010.
- Chung S, Gebre AK, Seo J, Shelness GS, and Parks JS. A novel role for ABCA1-generated large nascent HDL in the regulation of VLDL triglyceride secretion. J Lipid Res. 51:729-742, 2010.
- Brown JM, Chung S, Sawyer JK, Degirolamo C, Alger HM, Nguyen T, Zhu X, Duong M, Wibley AL, Davis MA, Kelly K, Wilson MD, Parks JS, Rudel LL. Inhibition of Stearyl-CoA 1 (SCD-1) dissociates Insulin resistance and obesity from atherosclerosis. Circulation, 118:1467-1475, 2008.
- Mulya A, Lee JY, Gebre AK, Boudyguina K, Chung S, Smith TL, Colvin PL, Jiang X.C, and Parks JS. Initial interaction of ApoA-I with ATP Binding Cassette Transporter A1(ABCA1) impacts in vivo metabolic fate of nascent HDL. J Lipid Res, 49: 2390-2401, 2008.
- Kennedy A, Chung S, LaPoint K, Fabiyi, O. & McIntosh, M. Trans-10, cis-12 Conjugated linoleic acid antagonizes ligand -dependent PPAR activity in primary cultures of human adipocytes. J. of Nutr. 138: 455-461, 2008.
- Brown JM, Chung S, Das A, Shelness S, Rudel LL & Yu L. CGI-58 facilitates mobilization of cytoplasmic triglyceride for lipoprotein secretion in hepatoma cells J Lipid Res, 48:2295-305, 2007.
- Chung S, Brown JM, Boysen SM, & McIntosh M. Trans-10, cis-12 CLA increases adipocyte lipolysis and alters lipid droplet-associated proteins: role of mTOR and ERK signaling. J Lipid Res. 46: 885-895, 2005.
- Chung S, Brown JM, Provo JN, Hopkins R & McIntosh MK. Conjugated linoleic acid promotes human adipocyte insulin resistance through NFkB-dependent cytokine production. J Biol. Chem. 280 (46):38445-38456, 2005.
- Chung S, LaPoint K, Martinez K, Kennedy A, Boysen SM, & McIntosh M. Preadipocytes mediate LPS-induced inflammation and insulin resistance in primary cultures of newly differentiated human adipocytes. Endocrinology, 147:5340-53512006.
- Brown JM., Boysens MS, Chung S, Fabiyi O, Morrison R.F, Mandrup S, & McIntosh M. Conjugated linoleic acid induces human adipocyte delipidation: Autocrine/paracrine regulation of MEK/ERK signaling. J Biol. Chem. 279 (25): 26735-26747, 2004.