Dr. Gail Kauwell
Distinguished Teaching Scholar
MS-DI Program Director
Dr. Kauwell’s research program focuses on folate and vitamin B12 assessment, metabolism and requirements in humans, with a special interest in learning more about the association between nutrient-gene interactions and epigenetic modification in health maintenance/chronic disease risk. Strategies for improving knowledge and behavior among women of reproductive potential with regard to folic acid intake is another research interest.
Gail Kauwell, PhD, RDN, LDN,FAND
572 Newell Dr.
P.O. Box 110370
Gainesville, FL 32611-0370
- Ph.D. University of Florida; Food Science & Human Nutrition, 1993
- M.Ag. University of Florida; Food Science & Human Nutrition, 1979
- R.D.N. Perth Amboy Medical Center, Dietetic Internship, 1976
- B.S. University of Maine, Food and Nutrition, 1975
- B.A. University of Maine, Psychology, 1974
Refereed Journal Articles:
- Rampersaud GC, Sokolow A, Gruspe A, Colee JC, Kauwell GP. Folate/folic acid knowledge, intake, and self-efficacy of college-aged women: impact of text messaging and availability of a folic acid-containing supplement. J Am Coll Health 2016; 64(6):460-468.
- da Silva VR, Hausman DB, Kauwell, GP, Sokolow A, Tackett RL, Rathburn SL, Bailey LB. (2013) Obesity affects short-term folate pharmacokinetics in women of childbearing age. Int J Obes. Advance online publication 9 April 2013; doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.41
- da Silva V, Hausman D, Kauwell GP, Sokolow A, Tackett R, Rathbun S, Bailey LB. Obesity affects short-term folic acid pharmacokinetics in women of childbearing age. FASEB J April 9, 2013 27:246.2.
- Kauwell GPA. Impact of bonus clicker points on final course grades. NACTA Journal 2014; 58 (Supp 1):51.
- Kauwell GPA, Caudill M, Hausman DB, Park HJ, Shade DC, Malsheva O, Bailey LB. Serum folate and whole blood global DNA methylation response to chronic folic acid supplementation in normal weight and obese women of child-bearing age. FASEB J April 2014 28:817.2.
- Park HJ, Shade DC, Hausman DB, Hohos NM, Meagher RB, Kauwell GPA, Smith AK, Bailey LB. Gene-specific changes in DNA methylation in response to chronic folic acid supplementation in normal weight and obese women of child-bearing age. FASEB J April 2014 28:817.3.
- Shade D, Park HJ, Hausman DB, Hohos N, Meagher R, Kauwell GPA, Smith AK, Bailey LB. Genome wide DNA methylation in whole blood and CD16+ cells in response to chronic folic acid supplementation in women of child-bearing age. FASEB J April 2014 28:817.1.
- Ridgewell NMK, Shelnutt KP, Kauwell GPA. Creative and Innovative Nutrition Lesson Plans: Backward Design, Instructional Strategies, and Florida Standards. NACTA Journal 2015; 59 (Suppl 1): 79.
- Bor MV, von Castel-Roberts K, Kauwell GPA, Stabler SP, Allen RH, Maneval DR, Bailey LB, Nexo E. (2010) Daily intake of 4 to 7 ug dietary vitamin B-12-related biomarkers in a healthy young population. Am J Clin Nutr 91:571-577.
- von Castel-Roberts KM, Whittmann AR, Maneval DR, Bailey LB, Kauwell GPA.(2010) Contribution of seafood to total vitamin B12 intake and status of young adult men and women. J Aquatic Food Prod Tech 19(1):26-37.
- Kauwell, GPA. (2008) Epigenetics: What it is and how it may affect dietetics practice. J Am Diet Assoc. 108(6):1056-1059.
- Kauwell GPA, Diaz ML, Yang Q, Bailey LB. Folate: recommended intakes, consumption, and status. In: Folate in Health and Disease, 2nd ed., Bailey, L.B. (ed), Taylor & Francis, 2009.
- Fellow the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 2016
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA NIFA Partnership Award for Innovative Programs, 2012
- American Dietetic Association, ADA Medallion Award, 2010
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Graduate Teacher/Advisor of the Year, 2010
- Florida Dietetic Association, President’s Mentor Award, 2008, 2010
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, NACTA Teacher Fellow, 2009
- American Dietetic Association, ADA Award for Excellence in Practice for Dietetics Education, 2007
- University of Florida Blue Key, Blue Key Distinguished Professor Award, 2007
- American Society for Nutrition, Nutrition Education Award, 2007
- University of Florida, Distinguished Teaching Scholar, 2005
- Florida Dietetic Association, Florida Dietetic Association Public Service Award, 2005
- International Association for Communication, Outstanding Professional Skill Award: Distance Education and Instructional Design (Best of the Best), 2004
- International Association for Communication, Gold Award: Distance Education and Instructional Design, 2004
- USDA & National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges (now APLU), National Teacher of the Year, 2000
- University of Florida, Undergraduate Teacher of the Year (University-wide), College of Agricultural and Life Sciences 1999
- University of Florida, Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, College of Health Professions, 1984
- American Dietetic Association, American Dietetic Association Outstanding Dietetics Educator, 1996
- Florida Dietetic Association, President’s Award, 1989
- Florida Dietetic Association, Distinguished/Outstanding Dietitian of Florida, 1988