Kauwell, Gail Ph.D., RDN, LDN
572 Newell Dr.
P.O. Box 110370
Gainesville, FL 32611-0370
Phone: 352.392.1991 ext. 227
- Ph.D. University of Florida; Food Science & Human Nutrition, 1993
- M.Ag. University of Florida; Food Science & Human Nutrition, 1979
- R.D.N. Perth Amboy Medical Center, Dietetic Internship, 1976
- B.S. University of Maine, Food and Nutrition, 1975
- B.A. University of Maine, Psychology, 1974
DIE 4246 Medical Nutrition Therapy Applications
DIE 4905 Problems in Dietetics
HUN 4446 Nutrition and Disease 1
DIE 6516 Professional Development in Dietetics
DIE 6905 Problems in Dietetics
DIE 6942 Dietetic Internship I
DIE 6938 Advanced Dietetics Seminar
DIE 6944 Dietetic Internship II
FYC 6934 Nutrition Education & Wellness: Program Planning, Development & Evaluation
Dr. Kauwell’s research program focuses on folate and vitamin B12 assessment, metabolism and requirements in humans, with a special interest in learning more about the association between nutrient-gene interactions and epigenetic modification in health maintenance/chronic disease risk. Strategies for improving knowledge and behavior among women of reproductive potential with regard to folic acid intake is another research interest.
- USDA National Institute of Food and Agriculture, USDA NIFA Partnership Award for Innovative Programs, 2012
- American Dietetic Association, ADA Medallion Award, 2010
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences, Graduate Teacher/Advisor of the Year, 2010
- Florida Dietetic Association, President’s Mentor Award, 2008, 2010
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture, NACTA Teacher Fellow, 2009
- American Dietetic Association, ADA Award for Excellence in Practice for Dietetics Education, 2007
- University of Florida Blue Key, Blue Key Distinguished Professor Award, 2007
- American Society for Nutrition, Nutrition Education Award, 2007
- University of Florida, Distinguished Teaching Scholar, 2005
- Florida Dietetic Association, Florida Dietetic Association Public Service Award, 2005
- International Association for Communication, Outstanding Professional Skill Award: Distance Education and Instructional Design (Best of the Best), 2004
- International Association for Communication, Gold Award: Distance Education and Instructional Design, 2004
- USDA & National Association of State Universities and Land Grant Colleges (now APLU), National Teacher of the Year, 2000
- University of Florida, Undergraduate Teacher of the Year (University-wide), College of Agricultural and Life Sciences 1999
- University of Florida, Undergraduate Teacher of the Year, College of Health Professions, 1984
- American Dietetic Association, American Dietetic Association Outstanding Dietetics Educator, 1996
- Florida Dietetic Association, President’s Award, 1989
- Florida Dietetic Association, Distinguished/Outstanding Dietitian of Florida, 1988
Refereed Journal Articles:
da Silva VR, Hausman DB, Kauwell, GP, Sokolow A, Tackett RL, Rathburn SL, Bailey LB. (2013) Obesity affects short-term folate pharmacokinetics in women of childbearing age. Int J Obes. Advance online publication 9 April 2013; doi: 10.1038/ijo.2013.41
Bor MV, von Castel-Roberts K, Kauwell GPA, Stabler SP, Allen RH, Maneval DR, Bailey LB, Nexo E. (2010) Daily intake of 4 to 7 ug dietary vitamin B-12-related biomarkers in a healthy young population. Am J Clin Nutr 91:571-577.
von Castel-Roberts KM, Whittmann AR, Maneval DR, Bailey LB, Kauwell GPA.(2010) Contribution of seafood to total vitamin B12 intake and status of young adult men and women. J Aquatic Food Prod Tech 19(1):26-37.
Kauwell, GPA. (2008) Epigenetics: What it is and how it may affect dietetics practice. J Am Diet Assoc. 108(6):1056-1059.
Kauwell GPA, Diaz ML, Yang Q, Bailey LB. Folate: recommended intakes, consumption, and status. In: Folate in Health and Disease, 2nd ed., Bailey, L.B. (ed), Taylor & Francis, 2009.